Friday 3 October 2014

My First Craftivism Experience

Scotland feels alive at the moment. Tens of thousands of people are engaged in politics for the very first time, and people are individually becoming more socially responsible. In the last couple of months, I've found myself taking part in marches and rallies, signing petitions and spending spare time researching current issues. 

While looking online, I discovered a form of activism which appealed to me immensely... craftivism. Craftivism (craft + activism) is a term coined by Betsy Greer in 2003, and the movement of quietly protesting through craft is moving throughout the world. I loved the idea of being able to send a message to people in my local community, by other methods than shouting loudly. Inspired by Sarah Corbett of Craftivist Collective, in her book- A Little Book of Craftivism, I embarked upon my first craftivist challenge.
My first mini protest banner!
In the run-up to the Referendum, "Bairns Not Bombs" was a favourite message of mine, and a reason why I supported Scottish independence. It seemed crazy to me to spend a ridiculous sum of money on renewing Trident (which incidentally is situated around 30 miles from Glasgow... eek) instead of investing money in things such as childcare. 
A burst of colour in the bushes

Here is my little cheerful-looking banner, tied to local railings. I hope that my little act of craftivism will provoke thought and discussion in anyone who happens to stroll past and see it. There are so many possible craftivism projects, and I look forward to starting my next one. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this, definitely want to do something similar next year! :)

    ReplyDelete