Friday 21 February 2014

Make Do and Mend! My Guilt-Free Clothing Resolution

One issue I feel guilty about about is the "disposable clothing" culture our society has created. Items are picked up increasingly cheaply, worn once, then they either start to fall apart or are discarded to the bottom of a drawer. The quality and durability of high street garments tends to be poor, and the ethics of the factories they come from are largely in doubt. 

There is loads of information on-line if you take time to look for it. Here are some websites: 
Love Fashion Hate Sweatshops
Do Something
Labour Behind the Label

And yet I have some of these items in my wardrobe. 

This is something I want to change in my own life. I have decided to make a conscious effort to be more aware of my wardrobe choices- for moral reasons, thrift and for fashion. Deep down, I know that the conditions in some factories mass-producing clothes cannot be acceptable, and this is a fact I can no longer ignore. Only last week, the Guardian reported that 350,000 tonnes of clothes are being dumped in landfills a year, in the UK alone! Well-made clothes last longer and when looked after, can continue to look great for years. Buying clothes cheaply and repeatedly is false economy, and I would like to be able to honestly say I love my wardrobe with a clear conscience. 

The 4 rules I will follow:
  • I will continue to wear the clothes I already own- mending them/ customising them as necessary to extend their life. 
  • I will donate clothing I no longer want to friends, charity shops, up-cycle them and anything which is beyond salvage will go to the Rag Bag appeal at my daughter's nursery. (Click here to read about how this avoids clothing going to landfill.) 
  • I will buy clothes second-hand where possible. 
  • I will further research retailers' labour/ workforce policies, and only support companies with good working conditions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment