Wednesday 26 February 2014

Using up my craft materials- painting a Daruma doll

We're all guilty of it... pinning new project ideas like crazy on Pinterest, and never making them! I also must confess to buying and hoarding new craft materials for that next "big project"... then far too often, moving on to something new. 

Now, with another addition to the family planning on joining us in July, the time has come to clear out my box room to make way for the transformation into guest room/ proper craft room. This morning, in the bottom of a box, I found acrylic paints and a couple of little tiny canvases.



I do not paint. I haven't painted anything since I was at school, and I don't even remember buying said acrylic paint set! However, in the interest of resolving to waste less and buy less, I have decided to give it a whirl. Why not?!

Recently, I have fallen in love with Japanese Daruma dolls. They are round dolls with a weighted base, designed never to fall over, and their motto is Nana Korobi Yaoki: "Fall down seven times, get up eight." Or, put simply, never give up on your dreams! They are given as good-luck gifts, but what I love most is that they are more than a lucky charm. They are symbols of how success is achieved through setting goals instead of just wishing for the best. They come with plain, white eyes, as you can see in the picture to the right. The owner then visualises a goal, paints in one of the eyes, and places the doll somewhere to remind them to keep striving for that goal. When the goal is achieved, you get to paint in the second eye! 

You can buy these cute little dolls at The Japanese Shop and find out more about them at We Love Daruma

Here is my Daruma doll painting so far, and below, the start of his face. I'll post a picture of the finished piece later... 




Here he is! Complete with one eye painted in to symbolise my goals...



No comments:

Post a Comment