Monday 24 February 2014

One Man's Trash... Getting Something for Nothing

If there is anything I love more than getting a bargain, it's getting something for nothing... or for very little! One thing I have discovered recently is that this is definitely more possible than I imagined, thanks to websites such as Gumtree and Freecycle. 

Getting something for free normally does involve a little hard work and imagination, but offset that against the pounds you will save and it's all worth it. If you're anything like me, I actually like things more if I have put in the extra work to make them mine, and saved my money in the process. 

"One man's trash is another man's treasure" is such a true sentiment. Around 3 years ago, I moved house and got rid of a lot of the contents of my flat such as furniture, mirrors and pictures. At the time, I gave smaller things to charity shops and put bulkier items out on the street- to my surprise, they were always gone come morning. This doesn't surprise me at all now I know more about the Freecycling and thrift culture in Glasgow... I would be delighted at some of the treasures I left out in the street back then! 

People really do list stuff for free on Gumtree and Freecycle- no catches, no hidden agendas. Often, the items need a little TLC, but other times, they are simply surplus to requirements. For example, I got this original canvas oil painting of water lilies on Gumtree- the owner had redecorated and it didn't match their new colour scheme. As you can see, it perfectly matches mine! 


No comments:

Post a Comment